Ritter Law Firm
In 2010 I started the Ritter Law Firm to meet the legal needs of the small business owner in the Birmingham, AL, metropolitan area. Now I'm excited to bring and share my knowledge with my new community in Oxford, MS. In the first few years of practice, I found myself in meetings with business owners who were stressed out, frazzled, and in fear of contacting an attorney due to concerns over excessive hourly rates and unnecessary legal jargon. As time went on I noticed a pattern with these business owners. The main reason for their stress usually fell in one of following categories:
- Didn’t know where to start with business? Do you need a business entity and/or license? If yes, what type? How do you file with the state and the IRS? What about city business licenses?
- How to name their business? At what point do you need to copyright or trademark your business name and/or logo?
- How to move from a home office to commercial space? You’ve found the space but the landlord just handed you a 40-page lease. You are very intimidated by this and don’t understand the language.
- Have a corporation and granted shares, but don’t know how to manage them? How are you supposed to document these shares and does it require you to have meetings and minutes?
- How to manage employees? What are your obligations to employees from a healthcare standpoint and also what type of agreement should you have with them?
- How to handle a cease and desist order? Maybe your business name is similar to another and you are not sure how to respond to this order to avoid a costly lawsuit.
- Want to sell your business in 10-15 years? What do you do now to ensure you can get top dollar down the line?
The goal of my firm is to answer these questions and provide my clients with peace of mind and a solid foundation for their business.
Awards & Recognition
Intellectual Property Fellow 2013-2016,
American Bar Association (ABA)
Top Attorney in Intellectual Property,
Birmingham Magazine, (March 2012-2015)